Policy on reasonable modification/accommodations for individuals with disabilities
It is RVTD’s policy to make reasonable modifications to its policies, practices, or procedures when requested to do so by individuals with disabilities when such accommodations are necessary to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability.
Requests for accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be denied on one or more of the following grounds:
Granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of RVTD’s service, programs, or activities;
Granting the request could create a direct threat to the health or safety of the requestor or others;
Granting the request would create an undue financial or administrative burden for the District; or
Without such modification, the individual with a disability is otherwise able to fully use RVTD’s services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose.
In determining whether to grant a requested modification, RVTD will be guided by the provisions of United States Department of Transportation at 49 CFR Appendix E to Part 37.169.
When choosing among alternatives for accommodations, RVTD will give priority to those methods that offer services, programs and activities to qualified individuals with disabilities in the most integrated setting appropriate for the needs of the individual(s) with disabilities. In any case in which RVTD denies a request for an accommodation, RVTD will attempt to ensure that the individual with a disability receives the services or benefits provided by RVTD by other means that comport with this policy.
Process for requesting modifications/accommodations for individuals with disabilities
Requests for modifications of RVTD’s policies, practices, or procedures to accommodate an individual with a disability may be made either in advance or at the time of the transportation service. RVTD is best able to address and accommodate a request when customers make their requests for modifications in advance. The process for making a request is as follows:
- When making a request, please thoroughly describe what is needed in order for you to use the service, and why this assistance is necessary.
- Whenever feasible, a request for modification to RVTD’s service should be made in advance before RVTD is expected to provide the service. RVTD will review your request, and will make every effort to communicate in advance whether or not the requested modification can be made.
- If the modification is not made, RVTD will provide the reason for the denial of the request. Requests may be denied on one or more of the following grounds:
- Granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of RVTD’s service, programs, or activities;
- Granting the request could create a direct threat to the health or safety of the requestor or others;
- Granting the request would create an undue financial or administrative burden for the District; or
- Without such modification, the individual with a disability is otherwise able to fully use RVTD’s services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose.
Requests may be made through the following means:
- If you are a Valley Lift client, call (541) 842-2080 to speak to the Paratransit Coordinator.
- If you are a fixed route customer, call (541) 779-5821 and speak to the ADA Compliance Officer.
You may also submit a written request online at www.rvtd.org. Click on the ABOUT tab and then click on CONTACT US
. You will find a form to complete to submit your request.
Same Day Requests:
When a request for modification cannot practicably be made and determined in advance, you may make a request on the same day, at the time of, or during service.
Operators may grant a request if such request is reasonable and meets the requirements of the District’s policy.
If an Operator is unsure if the request can be granted or declined, she/he is required to consult with the dispatcher or supervisor to receive direction.
Operator availability may be very limited when providing service and if the request would require extended consideration, we may not be able to grant your request immediately, and you may be encouraged to submit a written/verbal request for further consideration in future trips.
RVTD’s ability to grant the requested modifications may vary by route, day of travel, time of day, or other circumstances. For example, while a request may be able to be granted in one instance, that same request may be denied in another instance if granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of the service or create a safety threat, or if the request is not a functional necessity.
In the case of a denial of a request, RVTD will take, to the maximum extent possible and in compliance with its policies, any other appropriate actions to ensure you receive service.
Designated employee for compliance: RVTD has designated the ADA Compliance Officer, as the employee responsible for ensuring compliance of this policy and for administering the prompt and equitable resolution of any related complaints. Contact information is as follows:
Complaint Process and Contact Information: Complaints regarding the administration of or compliance with this policy shall be made in writing by letter or email addressed to the District’s ADA Compliance Officer, or by completing and returning the Discrimination Complaint Form found at: https://www.rvtd.org in the “How to Ride” section.
All complaints will be handled in accordance with RVTD’s Title VI/ADA and the Discrimination Complaint Process found at https://www.rvtd.org in the “How to Ride” section. RVTD will make every effort to make a prompt and equitable resolution of any complaint. The District’s response to any Title VI/ADA complaint will be in writing and will include the District’s decision and the reason(s) therefore.